Friday, October 9, 2009

Week 2 After Thoughts and Week 3

Wow, well I was totally wrong about this week. Each system that tried to pull out towards the east lost its energy and dried up, leading to a completely dry week! It did rain Monday, but that wasn't a forecast day so it doesn't count. The GFS was way too wet in the long term last weekend!

And now we move on to Denver where the snow will be flying over the weekend. Luckily we won't have to deal with the snow this first week (at least). Temperatures should warm up nicely for the week. Denver will bring many different challenges compared to Charleston with the primary challenge likely being larger temperature swings. If we can get a strong front to move through the area we could possibly see highs in the 70s followed by lows in the 20s. Anything is possible in Denver. The next week doesn't look like a prime example of this, but the NWS does have highs on Thursday in the 60s with lows near 30. I look forward to the challenge and I hope I can score a little better than in Charleston. I really got punished on my forecast for Thursday. I know why I went 67 for my low and I understand why I ended up going 88 for my high...but I wish I had more time to look at the forecast. Work is a bit more important than a forecast contest, so I only really looked at it for about 10-15 minutes. I should have realized that strong southwesterly flow would lead to stronger heating and the MOS numbers would recognize that well. Oh well! On to Denver!

No comments: